Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Are you from Jerusalem, Pakistan?

Many people tend to ask me or other Palestinians, "Are you Pakistanian?" We would explain to them, no, we are Palestinians. They would look at us confused. So, here are the basics, there are two names Palestinians and Pakistanis.

Palestinians are Arabs who are from the Middle East. They come from a country called Palestine/Israel/Occupied Palestinian territories/The West Bank and Gaza Strip. All Arabs, pro Palestinian supporters, and Muslims prefer the name Palestine, thank you.

Pakistan is not part of the Middle East. They are neighbors with India. Pakistanis speak Urdu.

So to answer your question, am I from Jerusalem, Pakistan? No, I am from Jerusalem, Palestine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Nice and important blog!
I´m living in Jerusalem too, and get upset everyone from abroad ask me: "And how is life in Israel".

Sometimes I answer back: "Sorry, but I´m not in Israel too much"

Then they look really confused!

Humanist said...

Thanks. If you have other issues I should write about, let me know. I am just writing about my experiences living in the West.

What I noticed, though, is when you explain things to the Westerners--they WANT to learn. Just the information out there is very weak.

If we only did our part in trying to send out stronger, and positive information, how would the world end up today?

Something to think about

Anonymous said...

Agree! People have all theese stereotypes, and maybe because of this - to scared to ask a simple question./Maria