Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where I have really been...

Assalamu'Alaykum,

It was the eve of 'Eid when I started packing our belongings to head to the place where time stands still - my grandma's house.

The usual - packing the whole house into the carboot and leaving my laptop all alone in the house. I told my husband that when we returned to his parents' we would bring my laptop along so that I COULD BLOG throughout the holidays.

Well, time really did stand still at gran's for two whole days. By third Shawal we were back and repacking for the longer trip up North. We really see my husband's family so we always make it a point to stay a little longer than usual.

I thought I would catch up with my work and would actually have more time to myself since my kiddies' grandparents would be around to entertain them.

Unfortunately, the Malaysian torrential rains had led to thunderstorms. Lightning had hit the phoneline in my inlaw's house. They too had just returned from their hometown and looked at the gaping hole in my brother in law's room with much curiosity.

Yes, there was a hole. At first, my brother in law suspected somehad tried to break in. After making some sense and a few attempts to log on to the net, he decided that the modem had gone kaput.

By the time the contractor was over to fix the connection it was time to leave. I guess everyone was on holiday for that week!

As much as I enjoy visiting (most) of my family, I was quite pleased to return home, smelly pillows and all. I had some pending assignments too and felt so "out of it" without an internet connection! Ever feel that way? We can't live without technology.

I unpacked my laptop the night we returned and was eager to check my email. That was the least I could do at that time.

Unfortunately my phone had been hit too! Astarghfirullah!

We could not call out and neither could callers hear our voices when we received calls.

After a few days of prodding the phoneline company finally paid us a visit. I told them it was useless to call us and keep asking us "is there something wrong with your phone? Hello? Hello? IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG. WITH. YOUR. PHONE?"

Our phone was fixed immediately by connecting to the net was still proving a difficulty. The broadband guy sauntered over after endless calls to the company. Turns out he was in the neighbourhood.

He could not get us connected though. It is weird that my laptop would have been affected. It was unplugged when I had left it at home and it was with me during the rains.

I guess I will never know why.

As I blog, my husband is getting it checked at his office, while I have set up a mini station at my mum's place. Time to check out of the dark ages already! Golly.

Insha'Allah things will get back to normal. It shows that we really are not in control of our plans, no matter how efficient or effective they may seem to be! Best thing is, is not to get wound up and take it in stride.

People were probaby were less stressed out living in non-technology-reliant times. More time to focus on Allah Ta'ala alone. I wonder. I wonder. I wonder. What would it have really been like without running after time, the way we do especially when hooked up to the rest of the world.

Nevertheless, it is good to be back and enjoy the privilege of blogging for this blog. Even after an eventful 'Eid!

1 comment:

Humanist said...

Salaam Maria,

Welcome back. We missed ya! Funny how we can't live without technology!