Thursday, November 8, 2007

Hmm...Are You Trying To Tell Me Something?

I have been teaching at my local university for the past four years. I love it. I teach education. We discuss issues related to education today.

This semester is a bit different. Why? Because this is the first time I have assigned Baghdad Burning : Girl Blog from Iraq for my students to read, so we can discuss in class.

However, I have two students who seem to think I am being "anti-American" because to them I represent an Arab, Muslim, Arab Muslim, or the "other." They have refused to read the book. They display pencil sketches from their notebook paper of an American flag. One of the students is planning to join the military within a year, he announced to the class sometime in the semester.

One student gets all upset if we talk about a different point of view on Iraq. He thinks we are being un-American. I tell him that it is un-American when we can't discuss controversial issues in a democratic manner.

At first, I didn't even pay attention to the displaying of the flag. However, one student purposely displayed the flag standing up looking directly at me. Then I realized...hmmm, are they trying to tell me something?

Just yesterday, as one of the students turned their homework, they had dropped a small, handmade American flag on the floor.

I think they want me to react. I pretend I don't understand what they are doing. I have a feeling they want me to get riled up. I don't and I won't.

When I discuss issues, I talk and think like an American and an Arab.

What do you think I should do? Do leave ideas and opinions in the comment section.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Wow I am sorry Humanist!

I am impressed though that you are an educator in the States despite the predicaments facing Muslims today. Especially Arabs!

I would not know what to do honestly. But for the time-being, just remain calm and "objective," obviously. Not hard to do that.

But anyway, let us know how it turns out. It is ironic that we read of white Americans being branded unAmerican for having a different view on events like the war on Iraq and the state of Palestein. It seems to contradict what the US has to stand for - freedom of speech.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Tia and I'm an editor at OpposingViews.com, the debate website. Since we both cover immigration, I thought I'd drop you a note. I would've e-mailed you but I couldn't find an address.
See, we're currently having a discussion about whether Oregon should teach in only English. Measure 58 would make it mandatory for grade school children to learn in English-speaking classes. In this debate, Oregonians for Immigration Reform is challenging Parents & Teachers Know Better. You can see it here:
http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/should-oregon-pass-the-english-immersion-measure
Although vetted experts are the ones doing the debating, anyone can contribute by choosing a side and posting comments about the experts' arguments.
Check it out and, if you have the time, let me know what you think at tia@opposingviews.com
Thanks!