Thursday, November 1, 2007

My Made in China

Assalamu'Alaykum,

It has happened again. Just when I thought I would be able to get my laptop sorted out, I have been hit with a double whammy. Turns out the lightning did not only hit my phone. Since the phone line was still connected to my laptop at that moment in time, the lightning destroyed my network card too.

After alot of grovelling I guess, by my husband, at the techies department, he had to venture out into the cold and cruel world of repair-smiths. Turns out Multimedia University - the pioneer educators in information technology - did not want to tamper with my run down laptop lest the inevitable happen. But anyway, the techies confirmed all I needed was a new network card.

So there was my husband, collecting my baby's identification card from the registry office when he spotted a computer shop with a counter for repairs. The Guy was so Enthusiastic and Obviously New at the job, he insisted that he wanted to CHECK the insides of my rather outdated Twinhead. Made in China, you see - that was all I could afford 5 years ago when I bought it after a few months of self-earned salary.

So the Enthusiastic and Obviously New Guy grabbed Made in China before my husband could hand it over to him and yanked it open.

The LCD screen broke. I cannot imagine how.... but I do imagine it breaking into half. I imagine it every night in my dreams, which are actually Nightmares.

Now I am pawning my jewellery to pay for the mistake Enthusiastic and Obviously New Guy made because he begged my husband to let him off the hook as the company refused to cough up a cent. He even narrated his salary versus budget figures that were so pathetic that both of us had to cave in.

Yes, I am pawning my jewellery. My husband said no. But I insist.

I am insisting because....

I do not earn a fixed salary anymore out of my choice, not his.

I quit my job because I wanted to, not him.

I left my wonderfully exciting career in investment banking because I decided to, not him.

I wanted and STILL WANT TO take care of my children and he did not force me to.

Unfortunately, due to the existence of people like Enthusiastic and Obviously New Guy, it is getting harder and harder and HARDER to remain at home.

With all the choices I have made, I do not want to rely on my husband for full financial support. Sure, he is rewarded for the money he spends on the family - on me and the babies, but at the same time, I feel it is my duty to contribute positively, especially financially, to our well-being. I mostly want to because I know I can and supporting so many people on a sole income is a tall-order.

I know alot of people think Muslim women stay at home and are chained to the kitchen stove or the children, but you would be surprised to know that it is mostly by choice and you be even MORE SURPRISED to know, that it is not a easy decision for many women to make. This is mostly due to financial reasons, as I mentioned earlier.

That is why I write. Small income but plenty of family time that sometimes drives me up the wall. But now I have found something else that has driven me to the brink of patience. Unethical service providers that are not careful with your belongings and refuse to compensate for damages. That laptop is all I have as my asset capital, non-liquid assets to keep at least a trickle of income tip toeing into my bank account!

Now it is broken. Astarghfirullah. And the only other non-liquid asset that redeemable for cash is a bit of gold jewellery.

I have borrowed my brother in law's laptop for this post and he said I could borrow it until the Enthusiastic and Obviously New Guy calls me again and lets me know Made in China is ready for the pick up. This time I am going to go and see him and let me know my budgetary figures and how my husband keeps the family afloat on one steady income.

I remember once when I was a kid living in Europe, my mum bought a carton of eggs as part of our groceries. When unpacking them at home, she found a cracked shell. We returned the carton and grocery store replaced the box with a brand new carton of glistening shell-protected eggs for breakfast.

THat type of honesty can only be seen in the West, as far as I know. When Islam stresses so much on the respect of another brother or sister's property, there are Muslims who just turn a blind eye or two.

This is especially true for Malaysia.

Nevermind that the New Guy was just being careless and snapped Made in China's screen into two right in front of my husband's eyes.

On hindsight, I know there is a blessing in disguise. After all that ranting, I do have a husband who has a steady income. He supports a family, meaning I have children. I have laptop, which is in recovery mode, meaning I do have a job. The fact that I can pay for the repair shows that I do have some jewellery, even though I will be pawning whatever I have to save a poor guy's job.

Insha'Allah, by the fact that I have helped him, I will be rewarded by that and it will is some way give me some relief in difficult times.

"Whosoever relieves from a believer some grief pertaining to this world, Allah will relieve from him some grief pertaining to the Hereafter.

Whosoever alleviates the difficulties of a needy person who cannot pay his debt, Allah will alleviate his difficulties in both this world and the Hereafter.

Whosoever conceals the faults of a Muslim, Allah will conceal his faults in this world and the Hereafter.

Allah will aid a servant (of His) so long as the servant aids his brother.

Whosoever follows a path to seek knowledge therein, Allah will make easy for him a path to Paradise.

No people gather together in one of the houses of Allah, reciting the Book of Allah and studying it among themselves, except that tranquility descends upon them, mercy covers them, the angels surround them, and Allah makes mention of them amongst those who are in His presence.

Whosoever is slowed down by his deeds will not be hastened forward by his lineage."
(Muslim)

No comments: